“Our Transitions program is designed to offer new graduates the opportunity to access a 26 week work experience with an employer that is connected to their field of study. We have identified that it may be difficult to find employment right out of school because of lack of work experience. The Transitions program allows graduates to have the opportunity to gain valuable experience upon the completion of their studies, learn hands on skills in the workplace and get started on a path to success.
- Must be recognized by the Registrar’s Office of the Mohawk Council of Kahnawake, or be listed on the National Registry for the Mohawk Band of Kahnawake.
- Must be sixteen (16) years of age or older.
- Must be registered and have an assigned Workforce Development Counselor at Tewatohnhi’saktha.
- Must be a student in a vocational trades program nearing graduation, or a recent graduate of a vocational trades program or post-secondary program.
The process for clients:
✓ Make arrangements to meet with program coordinator (Emily Rice) to express interest in participating in the Transitions program.
✓ Together, identify ideal employers who can offer you a work experience that matches your recently acquired training / education.
✓ Submit to your employer of choice, a resume and cover letter expressing interest in participating in a work experience.
✓ Submit letter of intent to program coordinator expressing desire to participate in the Transitions program.
✓ Once approved by both Workforce Development and the employer of choice, a contract will be signed for the duration of the work experience agreement.
- Must provide detailed work plan and/or job description that outlines the weekly tasks and responsibilities for the position.
- A letter of support which indicates how the objective of the program will be met, start & end dates and any other relevant information that would support the student/program.
- Must not produce any layoffs, nor utilize measure as a replacement for a dismissed employee awaiting recall, or absence due to shortage of work.
- It is the employer’s responsibility to conduct necessary background checks prior to contract signing. Reimbursements will be available.
- Employers are encouraged to interview all potential clients.
What will the Transition provide?
✓ Minimum wage subsidies at $12.50 per hour.
✓ Mandatory Employment Related Costs at 100% based on minimum wage.
✓ Administration and payments for Mohawk Self Insurance premiums.
✓ A maximum contribution of up to 40 hours per work week for 13 – 26 weeks in duration.
✓ Assistance with job search and making an ideal match for employers and grads.
For more information contact:
Client Support Clerk