The Mohawk Council of Kahnawà:ke (MCK) is the organization that provides governmental, administrative, and operational services to the community of Kahnawà:ke. The organizational structure of the MCK is comprised of two main sectors: political and administrative/operational. The political sector of the MCK is comprised of the Council of Chiefs and the Office of the Council of Chiefs. The Council of Chiefs is the primary governing body of the MCK and provides political direction on matters concerning Kahnawà:ke and its affairs. The Office of the Council of Chiefs (OCC) provides support services to the Mohawk Council of Kahnawà:ke Chiefs. Those services include negotiation, advisory, technical and general supports. The MCK is also indirectly linked to most of the community’s main organizations through the Executive Directors Committee.
“The Mohawk Council of Kahnawà:ke supports the community’s Vision by partnering with Kahnawà:ke for a strong Kanien’kehá:ka identity and prosperous community”.
“It is our mission to protect Kahnawà:ke’s interests, build resources, provide quality services and govern our affairs”.
- Respect for land, community and work place
- Accountability and transparency
- Preservation of language and culture
- Integrity and professionalism
- Commitment, innovation and resourcefulness that strives for prosperity
- Collaboration and effective communications
- Stability and viability of the organization
- Quality service delivery for collective benefit
- Visionary decision-making for generations to come
The vision, mission and values are core fundamental driving forces that will guide the organization in the direction it is heading over the next five years.